High-level conference | Building political momentum: Towards Ending HIV in Europe
Building political momentum: Towards Ending HIV in Europe
World AIDS Day
Organised by MEP Frédérique Ries (Renew Europe Vice-President, Belgium), MEP Sara Cerdas (S&D, Portugal) and MEP Sirpa Pietikäinen (EPP, Finland), in collaboration with HIV Outcomes
With the participation of EU Health Commissioner Stella Kyriakides, EU Equity Commissioner Helena Dalli
While substantial progress has been made in the fight against HIV, Europe’s commitment to end HIV requires renewed political action and attention. As people living with HIV are living longer and healthier lives, the current landscape requires a more integrated, person-centred approach to address their complex needs. Acknowledging and addressing these multi-faceted challenges is crucial to upholding Europe’s commitment and delivering comprehensive care for people living with HIV.
The upcoming 2024 European elections present an opportunity to generate political momentum and reaffirm Europe’s commitment to end HIV. By prioritising the fight against HIV, we can collectively work to meet the UN SGD target of eliminating the AIDS pandemic and ensure the long-term care and the health-related quality of life (HRQoL) of people living with HIV in Europe.
The event will focus on driving meaningful political change and strengthening HIV policies in the context of the upcoming 2024 elections in the European Parliament and the new European Commission configuration. It reflects on policy actions that can help to advance towards the shared goal of ending HIV in Europe while emphasising the importance of sustained action and addressing the evolving needs of people living with HIV.
The event will be moderated by Jacki Davis.
AgendaTimings are local to the event's time-zone
13:00 - 13:10
Speakers and guests arrival
Keynote speeches – EU commitment to ending HIV: Fostering equality and eliminating stigma
Shedding light on inequalities in ending HIV in Europe
Accelerating HIV prevention for achieving the elimination targets
Advancing HIV Care: A person-centred approach to long-term health and the HRQoL among people living with HIV
- Improving the HRQoL of people with HIV: addressing structural stigma and discrimination, as well as mental health
- Comorbidity prevention, treatment, and management
- Measurement and monitoring of the health-related quality of life of people living with HIV
- Ensuring healthy ageing for people living with HIV
Call for Action: Towards Ending HIV in Europe
Closing remarks and next steps
- MEP Frédérique Ries, Renew Europe Vice-President, Belgium
- EU Health Commissioner Stella Kyriakides
- EU Equality Commissioner Helena Dalli (pre-recorded video message on stigma)
- Christine Stegling, UNAIDS Deputy Executive Director, Policy, Advocacy and Knowledge Branch
- Magdalena Bartnik, European AIDS Treatment Group member, and Executive Director of the Prekursor Foundation for Social Policy, Poland
- Prof Oana Sandulescu, Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy, National Institute for Infectious Diseases "Prof. Dr. Matei Bals", Bucharest, Romania
- Mario Cascio, Chair Quality of Life Programme at European AIDS Treatment Group, HIV Outcomes Steering Group member
- Prof Jeffrey Lazarus, HIV Outcomes Co-Chair, Head of Health Systems Research Group ISGlobal at Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
- Prof Nicoletta Policek, UK CAB Chairperson
- MEP Sara Cerdas, S&D, Portugal
- MEP Sirpa Pietikäinen, EPP, Finland